What is an EPD?
An Environment Product Declaration (EPD) is an independently verified report on the environmental impact of a product throughout its life cycle. The impact of the product is calculated via a Lifecycle Assessment (LCA) which conforms to the requirements of the relevant Product Category Rules (PCR).
On this page you can read more about
GCCA EPD Tool
The Industry GCCA EPD Tool is designed to facilitate the cement and concrete sector’s ongoing efforts to reduce its environmental impact and support global sustainability goals. The tool is used by the largest cement and concrete producers around the world.
The web-based GCCA EPD tool allows you to prepare EPDs (self declarations) of clinker, cement, aggregates, concrete, and precast elements which can be then verified by a third-party verifier to become official public EPDs. Since the GCCA EPD tool has been pre-verified by an approved EPD International verifier, the overall verification cost of EPDs generated by the GCCA tool decreases significantly.
The EPD tool is available to GCCA members for free. A non-GCCA member company that is a member of a GCCA Affiliate receives a 50% discount.
EPD on-Demand for Ready Mixed Concrete
The Global Cement and Concrete Association (GCCA) and WAP Sustainability, a leader in LCA and EPDs, have launched a service to produce Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs) on-demand for concrete producers in North America. The EPD on-demand service will enable concrete producers to quickly, accurately and cost-effectively produce verified EPDs of their products.
To find out more information or register for the service please follow this link: https://thetaepd.com/signup/gcca.
Why are EPDs important?
- EPDs are fundamental to low carbon procurement and are increasingly requested in public and private procurement such as the UN sponsored Industrial Deep Decarbonisation Initiative (IDDI) low carbon procurement initiative
- EPDs support the embodied carbon challenge by making the environmental impact of products and materials more visible hence allowing steps to be taken to reduce the impact
- Most clients want manufacturers to provide them with sustainable building products and increasingly request EPDs
- EPDs help designers develop lower carbon solutions as they enable the embodied carbon calculation that, together with operational carbon calculations, support whole life whole project carbon analysis
- EPDs help manufacturers measure and reduce their environmental impact and benchmark their performance
- EPDs are an open and objective way to demonstrate the manufacturer’s commitment to environmental impact transparency